Thought of the Day

~Maturity is the stage of life when you don't see eye to eye but can walk arm in arm~

Friday, October 17, 2008

Project kulupis

I believed everyone still remembered when I mentioned in my last post regarding the kulupis thingy and I'm sure lot of you knows what is it but for those who are clueless to what is this kulupis thingy your curiosity will be answered through the picture snippets that I'll sharing. But it got to wait for a while for I need a little bit time to upload the pictures hehehe. Patience is virtue wakakaka

Here are the pictures as promised...

Yes, this is what you need to have in order to make a kulupis. 'Silad leaf'(anybody knows what is silad in bahasa or English? LOL), glutinous rice and grated coconut.

and this is what we need to do....

glutinous rice

Preparing the
'silad leaves' while waiting the glutinous rice to cook...

'silad leaves' being washed and wiped

One of the thing about kulupis making is that, it's being done in crowds beside making the work lighter and fast its fun. I'm not very sure where it is originated from but I came to know about it the day I got married for it is one of the delicacy being served and I loved it. I was informed that it is normally being prepared for a special occasion like wedding or grand festival by the Kadazan in Papar but later I came to learn that even the Bruneian Malay in Papar does the same. I guess the very reason why it is only being prepared occasionally is that, beside glutinous rice being expensive it is not easy to find the silad leaves which only grow in rare places for it's not something that you plant like a flowers or fruit trees which I think somebody should start thinking of doing it before it extinct. So in the kampong, it is not a rare sight when you see everyone is there during
kulupis making and that's the beautiful about them for they don't need to hear about any speech regarding unity(politician hot topic lately which can't hardly be seen in some...duuuhh) in order to have it...they practising it all these while.

And this is what we were dong as we help one of our dear friend who wants to have kulupis for her Raya celebration tomorrow, we are continuing the spirit of unity which we were brought up with
regardless of races and religions among us and at the same time having fun especially for the newbies in kulupis making hehehe.

and here are part of the kulupis crew

this is what we do to the glutinous rice when it is cooked

then fold it...and...


tedaaaaa....all ready for steaming

Well...that's all about it and whatever sharing I've had here is out of the information that I've acquired from people around me and whatever I amiss as well as wrongly shared I deeply apology for it and I would very much welcome comments and willing to be corrected. If anyone interested on the ingredients don't hesitate to ask...I can ask my friend whom the expert hehe What!?Me? I'm only the crew, remember? wakaka

No comments: